Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Branded Lyricism

10th Time of the Writer

Tuesday March 20

11h30-13h00 Blogs – A Growing Medium in Modern Writing: Mohammed Ali -
Comsa Lounge, UKZN, Westville Campus. Tel: 031 260 2506

PROGRAMME Subject To Change

10h30 I am tempted to call the no. on the programme just to make sure the seminar is actually happening… but, I don’t! Aint UKZN one of SA’s finest institutions of higher learning??? No glitches preempted (at least not from my side).

11h15 Comsa Lounge… hmmmm… now where in heaven’s name would that be?? The GSB… now here’s familiar territory. I rush in to ask the security guard for directions to the CL. “Just around the corner, sissie,” comes the usual, respectfully polite reply.

11h16 Outside the clearly demarcated COMSA LOUNGE stands a congregation of some 8 literary enthusiasts. Okay, perhaps I’m exaggerating a little… 5 would be more like it (besides, the seminar is only due to begin a whole 14 mins later). There’s something about one of them, an air of wisdom encircling a young lady known to the blogging fraternity as Kimya.

11h40 Breaking News… ‘Mohammed Ali facing passport trouble in Iraq.’ This can mean only one thing: King Ali, wonderful he won’t be participating in this year’s Writers Festival. SMACK! My research effort suffers its first nasty blow. But, don’t despair when J Nurse is here!

Justin of the Laugh It Off t-shirt co. was the Centre for Creative Arts’ Plan B (I told u UKZN doesn’t disappoint!). Unfortunately, Justy’d caught a nasty bug on his way to Durbs and so he couldn’t be his bubbly old self. Give the guy a break, yo! I know I did, as I watched him struggle to let out a few words and slurp water at regularly orchestrated intervals from his Valpre bottle… or was it Bon Aqua… brands and branding, I jus can’t seem to keep up with the global giants of late!

Which brings me to some of Justy’s own creative brand formulations:

Googlethu (my favourite!)
1953 Bantu Educated
Standard Wank
HIV – Hello The Future
Mr Priceless
Black Labour – White Guilt…
MAKING HEADLINES In the battle between freedom of expression and trademark law, while it is clear that SAB Miller is unable to prove harm, let’s have 3 Cheers for our man, Justy Nurse! Way to go, dude!

PS When asked to comment as to whether he was a rebel of sorts, Justy replied, ‘I don’t do drugs nor do I have any tattoos, so I wouldn’t consider myself a rebel!’

Seems to me Justy’s more of a role model for young ppl: The M-Generation.

BOTTOM LINE: ‘Avoid the law at all costs. I wouldn’t wish the same gruelling tirade on anyone!’ - Justy The MADIBA, hehe:)

Spent the rest of the afternoon getting to know Kimya’s purrsona… felt like I was in the presence of a celebrity – bloggers and their influence! More like Antonio Gramsci’s productive concept of hegemony if u ask me… quite SPECTACULAR!

See http://www.memoirs4kimya.blogspot.com for more on this year's Writers Festival.

4 comments:

Shafinaaz Hassim said...

lol

hey sonata!

here i am supposed to be attempting to sing-along, but im kinda giggling a bit too much after reading ur post! so cute! just like ur purrsona! awwww and thnx muches for the liNkies too!

in aid of science - i donate this organ of blogisdome! to sonata :P

Hasina Suliman said...

:)Kimmy's the blogfairy?

Bilal said...

lol:)

i miss dbn:(

Shafinaaz Hassim said...

lol


UKZN doesnt disappoint u say?!

lol.. i missed that the first time i read this! gosh! UDW got me sneezing for a weeek!